The painting constitutes one of the wings of a large altarpiece executed around 1473 to a commission from the merchant Floriano Griffoni and intended for the family chapel in the Bolognese church of San Petronio.
The polyptych, dedicated to St. Vincent Ferrer, was ordered just a few years after the saint’s canonization (1458) and painted by the artist in collaboration with Ercole de’ Roberti, who executed the small panels of the predella. The work remained in the Griffoni Chapel until 1725-30, when the individual panels were sold separately on the antique market and dispersed: the panels in Brera were acquired by the collector Giuseppe Cavalieri in 1893, at the suggestion of Adolfo Venturi, but was only through the insight of Roberto Longhi that, in 1934, the fragments in Brera, the National Gallery in London and the National Gallery in Washington were identified as parts of single, imposing structure, one of the cornerstones of Cossa’s production and Ferrarese Renaissance painting.
The two saints, displaying all the solidity of wooden sculpture, stand on rocky outcrops which serve to isolate them, almost like the base of a statue, from the bizarre landscape where arches with unstable keystones frame plains criss-crossed by rivers and dotted with buildings.
AUTHOR Francesco del Cossa
DATE 1470 - 3
OBJECT TYPE AND MATERIAL Tempera on panel
TECNICA OPERA Tempera and gold on panel
DIMENSIONS cm 112 x 55
Work on display
Related artworks:By the same author In the same date/era In the same room
Appunti per una resistenza culturale #18
BRERA/MUSICA – Années de pèlérinage. Deuxième Année. Italie
Sposalizio, Franz Liszt