The fifteen paintings from the Jesi collection offer a sample of the multiple aspects of De Pisis’s work and allow us to follow its development through the central three decades of his activity.
De Pisis cultivated many interests, from botany to the history of art and from painting to literature: he started out as a poet and took an arts degree at Bologna in 1920. In the meantime, he began to paint under the influence of de Chirico and Carrà, whom he met in Ferrara, and the Valori Plastici group, with which he established links during a stay in Rome in 1920. In 1925 he moved to Paris and concentrated on the Impressionist research into the use of light and color, but without giving up the memory of his Metaphysical atmospheres.
At this date, it is already possible to discern the formulation of his own, highly personal style, characterized by a “stenographic” manner, airy, delicate and made up of rapid brushstrokes laid on light grounds in which the raw canvas is left visible, with almost no priming. At the end of the twenties he turned his attention to the city, obsessively painting its characteristic corners and streets: in Paris with Factory (1927) we find citations of and references to Impressionist painters. After a period of travel, he returned to Italy at the outbreak of the Second World War, but was admitted to a clinic (Villa Fiorita, whence the initials “VF” set on his paintings) owing to the worsening of the mental illness that was to prevent him from working from 1954 onward.
Download hi-res image
Paris with a Factory
Filippo De Pisis (Filippo Tibertelli)
OBJECT TYPE AND MATERIAL
Oil on canvas
cm 55 × 46
Work Not On Display
21/03/2017 > 10/09/2017
Paris, Muséè National de l’Histore de l’immigration
By the same author
In the same date/era